Youtube, Google Play, Gmail, Google+, Google Calendar and Google Drive; all these platforms require you to have a Google account. In this day and age it’s virtually impossible no to have a Google account if you want to be able to access any of the most widely used services on the Internet. But don’t worry, it’s a fairly straightforward process. You’ll be asked to follow the menus provided and type in some personal information that Google will use to setup your Google account. This information includes things like: Full Name, Age and Location.
If you, like many before you, have struggled in your setup and creation, look no further. Follow this guide and the accompanied tips and tricks and you’ll be all set.
How to set up a new Google account
- Navigate to the Google account page or www.google.com and click on Settings. Use your mouse wheel and scroll down to Accounts. Tap on the Add Accounts button. It’s a small plus shaped icon at the top right side of the screen. Locate and tap on the Google button, followed by the Create Account button.
- The Sign Up Page will be displayed. Review all the necessary information that you will need to provide. Fill out the fields with your Username, Password, Gender and Age. When prompted for your password, choose a powerful but easy to remember password. A combination of Uppercase, Lowercase and numbers works best.
- You have the option of adding a phone number to your account. The number you provide will be used to verify and protect your account in case there are any violations or attempts at accessing your private information.
- You’ll be directed to a page where you can Add a Photo. We advise you do this if you will be using your profile professionally. If you don’t want to set up a photo at this time, just click the Next Step button and you will be redirected.
- With this your Google account has been created. Make sure you write down on paper or some other source your credentials for safekeeping. In case you are unable to access your account, Google Support can help you retrieve access.
Additional tips and tricks
Keep your identity, privacy and information secure. Ever share personal or sensitive information with anybody but yourself. Passwords are very easy to steal. Most people use simple passwords, like their birthdate or the name of their dog, followed by 1234. We discourage you from doing that, you will end up having your email hacked.
Possessing a Google account gives you a lot of freedom to access and take part in some of the most useful platforms and software that google has to offer. Even if you don’t like having your personal information on the “web”, you can’t avoid leaving an imprint for long if you want to be able to connect with the rest of the world.
We hope this guide has been useful and informative. As always, take the time to educate yourself on the proper techniques for Internet Safety when managing your Google account.