Hotmail continues to rank among the market’s top web-mail services year after year, that’s why you might be wondering how to create a new Hotmail account. It was one of the first web-based email services to hit the market (going live on July 1996) and despite a series of rebranding campaigns, new names and relaunches, Hotmail –also known as Windows Live or Outlook after Hotmail was acquired by Microsoft in 1997 and renamed Outlook in 2013– remains one of the most popular email services worldwide with around with over 400 million active users per month.
Creating a Hotmail account now delivers much more than just email: after being purchased by Microsoft a mere year after its launch, having a Hotmail account means that users can use their Hotmail credentials (email address and password) to access to the entire suite of Microsoft services and features, including MSM, Skype, Flickr and Messenger.
Not only that, but Hotmail is equipped with a full host of outstanding features that ranges from anti-spam, anti-virus and anti-phishing services to virtually unlimited free storage, built-in search and mobile access.
Ready to create your Hotmail account? The process takes mere minutes and is as quick as it is easy. Follow these instructions from any device and you’ll be on your way to discovering everything that Hotmail and Microsoft has to offer.
How to create a new Hotmail account
1. Open your browser and go to Hotmail. To get started, open your browser and search for “hotmail” to bring up the page where you can create a new Hotmail account. You can also go directly to www.hotmail.com, which will redirect you to the Microsoft sign-in page. Click on the “create account” option to access the Create an Account page. Alternatively, you can access the create an account page directly at https://signup.live.com/.
2. Enter your info. Hotmail will prompt you to enter some basic personal information like your first and last names, your country, gender and date of birth. Make sure that all the information you’ve entered is correct and that all required fields have been filled out.
3. Choose a username. There are a range of options that Microsoft provides to make choosing a username for your new account even easier. If you already have an Outlook, Yahoo! or Gmail account you can use this email address as the user name for your new Microsoft account. However, if you prefer to create a new email account with a new username, click on “Get a new email address”. You can choose between an Outlook and Hotmail domain by simply clicking the dropdown menu you’ll see to the right and choosing the domain you prefer. If the username you’ve chosen is taken, Hotmail will prompt you to choose a new name.
4. Enter a password. Using a combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers and symbols will make your password stronger. Remember that passwords are case sensitive and have an 8-character minimum. Need help creating a secure password? Check out our series of tips to create a password that protects your info.
5. Protect your info. Hotmail will ask if you’d like to link a phone number and an alternate email address to your new account. This is a great way to enhance the security of your account and will make it possible for Microsoft to send you a verification code or an automated call if it has to verify your identity. Hotmail will also ask you to confirm that you’re a real person and not a robot before you can create your account. Enter the characters you see where indicated or click “new” for a new captcha text or “audio” to for an audio captcha text if you have any problems.
6. Make sure that all your information is correct. Check that all mandatory fields have been completed and that the information you’ve entered is correct. Check the box if you want to receive promotional offers from Microsoft.
7. Finish your new account setup. Click on “Create Account” once you’ve ensured that all your information has been entered correctly to finish signing up for Hotmail. You’re good to go! To access the email account you just created go the Hotmail or Microsoft sign-in page and enter your username and password.
After you submitted the correct answer, you will be directed to your new Hotmail account inbox. You will be required to confirm your time zone (Hotmail will most likely set it for you) manually and customize to your liking the new free Hotmail account you created.