It happens to the best of us: you’ve forgotten your password. And since your Hotmail password provides access to Microsoft’s entire range of features, from Skype to Flickr, as well as your email, you’ll need to reset your password to take full advantage of all the features the web-based service offers.
Hotmail’s intuitive step-by-step reset process makes it easy to get back into your account as quickly as possible – simply follow the steps below and you’ll regain access to Hotmail and all Microsoft services in no time.
Reset your Hotmail account password
1. Go to the Reset Your Password page.
You can use Microsoft’s Reset Password (https://account.live.com/password/reset) page to reset your Hotmail password by simply clicking on the “Can’t access your account?” link below the email and password fields on the sign-in page.
2. Choose the reason you need your password reset.
There are three options to choose from:
- I forgot my password
- I know my password, but can’t sign in
- I think someone else is using my Microsoft account
- Select “I forgot my password” and click Next.
3. Enter the Hotmail address you need access
To in the “Microsoft account” field. This is the email address you used when you made your Hotmail account.
4. Fill out the captcha.
Enter the characters you see on the screen to confirm that you’re not a robot and click “Next”.
5. Choose a verification method.
Microsoft will need to verify your identity via a one-time code before you can access the password reset page. There are several methods you can use, depending on the preferences you set up for your account.
- Email. Microsoft will send you a verification code to the recovery email address you have associated with your account.
- Use an app. If you have the Microsoft Account app you can use it to generate a unique code that Microsoft will use to verify your identity.
- Text. Microsoft can send you a text message with a code to verify your identity if you have a mobile number associated with your account.
Don’t have any associated recovery information? Choose “I don’t have any of these” and Microsoft will redirect you to a questionnaire that you can fill out to verify your identity.
6. Get your verification code.
Microsoft will send you a one-time verification code that you will need to regain access to your account. Enter the verification code in the space provided on the verification page and click “Next”.
7. Create a new password.
You’ll be taken to the account reset page where you can create a new password to access your Hotmail account. Create your new password and click “Next”. Click here for tips on how to create a strong password.
8. Sign in.
Use your regular email address and new password to access your Hotmail account from the sign-in page.