Hotmail is one of the most popular free online email services worldwide, serving 400 million users a month. Launched in July 1996, it was one of the first webmail services to hit the market and was acquired by Microsoft a year later. In August, 2012, Microsoft revamped Hotmail and renamed the service Outlook.com. Users can still use and create new Hotmail accounts and sign in, however, although the www.hotmail.com URL now redirects to the main sign-in page for all Microsoft accounts. Which means that a Hotmail account provides access to the full suite of Microsoft services and features, from MSM to Skype to Outlook.
Ready to sign in to your Hotmail account? Once you’ve gone through the hassle-free process of creating a new Hotmail account (check out our tips for signing up for Hotmail if you haven’t created your account yet), signing in and out of your account is easy – simply follow the step-by-step instructions below.
How to sign in to Hotmail.com
1. Open your web browser and go to Hotmail. To get started, open your browser and go to www.hotmail.com. You’ll be redirected to Microsoft’s main sign-in page, which you can also access directly at https://www.msn.com. You’ll see a “Sign in” link in the top right-hand corner of the page. Click it and you’ll be taken to the general sign-in page.
2. Enter your email, phone, or Skype ID. Microsoft offers a number of ways for you to sign into your Hotmail account to make accessing your email even easier. Enter the email you used to create your Microsoft account –the service offers the possibility of using an existing email or creating a new account with a @hotmail.com or @outlook.com domain– or alternately your phone number or Skype ID. Click “Next” to continue.
3. Enter your password. Enter the password you’ve created for your account. Remember that passwords are case sensitive.
4. Stay signed in. Microsoft offers users the possibility of staying signed in to their account. Click the box next to “Keep me signed in” and you’ll be automatically signed in the next time you access Hotmail or MSN from the same computer. You can save time by not having to enter your email and password again; however, if you’re not using a secure computer leave the box unchecked to protect your account.
5. Sign in. Click the “Sign In” button to access your Hotmail inbox, Skype, Office, Facebook and a host of other features.
6. Forgot your password? If you forget your password, Microsoft will lead you through a series of prompts to help you recover it. When you’re asked to enter your Hotmail password, click on “Forgot my password” and follow the prompts to recover or reset your password. You may need a secondary email to receive messages and verification codes from Microsoft.
7. Sign out. When you’re ready to sign out, click the icon next to your name in the top right corner. You can choose “View account” if you want to add a photo, edit your name or change your password. Otherwise, simply click “Sign out”.